Friday 18 June 2010

GC8EB5: Crookhaven Cache

Found on 2010-06-18
Placed by: Donnacha
Size: Small (Difficulty: 1 / Terrain: 1.5)
Location: Munster, Ireland
Geocaching.com: GC8EB5

We were on our way from Cork to Kenmare and decided to take a little excursion down the Mizen Drive to the furthest South-Westerly point. Unfortunately arrived too late for the visitor centre but it looks like they had some roadworks going on there anyway.


As we were heading back, I had a PQ for the R592 but not this far and so with the netbook fired up I remarked to Mrs Fitz that there was a cache located nearby and she was all up for it. Trouble was as we got nearer the mobile broadband signal died out so we had to wardrive for a little while till we could log on a pick it up again. This time I recorded the coords and had a glance at the description and off we went.

Since it was so late, we took our chances and drove up and past the spot where the cache is. We parked outside of the drive to the 2 properties where we found a spot on the side which wouldn't block access. Made our way back to where the coords were showing and this led to a the stone wall.

As we began our exploration, I stood upon said wall and as I stood there for about 2 seconds, the large stone under my right foot gave way. I stepped across to the next large stone and this also toppled - and me with it! Thankfully I didn't get buried but I did get a bit cut and bruised.

So whilst I fiddled with the wap.geocaching.com site which is a bit naff to be honest, Mrs Fitz decided to head up the hill and did find the cache!

Signed log, took Aloha TB, and it was getting a bit dark now so off we headed to Kenmare and to a new B&B where we could get some rest after a long drive.

TFTC!

Dipping Rav4 TB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flame away, but prepare to be burnt!