Saturday 20 February 2010

GC23RM3: 1875...?

Found on 2010-02-20 at 20:00:00
Placed by: The Blackguard
Size: Small (Difficulty: 4 / Terrain: 1.5)
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Geocaching.com: GC23RM3

[

Solved this one yesterday in anticipation of coming to Bedworth today and hoping to snag a few of the new caches placed up here.

I have to admit, I fell to the dark side and used the CO's spoiler hint. I will state for the record I happened upon it by accident as I perused the earlier logs - I had already decrypted the normal cache hint and of course this does so the logs too.

Good puzzle though, I did manage to put together the first part myself. The longest part of solving it was figuring out who the old guy was in the first picture. It is a face I recognised, but I was racking my brain trying to think of names of US politicians and businessmen. Then a flash of memory - perhaps a move of the Holy Spirit? - and I had his name instantly.

I think it's worth mentioning, not being a local cacher I would never have got the reference to ] [i]graham 1875[/i], but since it is a tribute cache I won't grumble.[

Onto the cache itself. Made the mistake of approaching from the wrong direction (all this new estate confused me, it's been a while since I lived in Bedworth),] so we parked in Bermuda Road - not realising that Harefield Lane is not accessible by car.[ It wasn't a long walk though.

As usually happens with _TeamFitz_ we started the day late, so it was already dark by the time we got round to this cache. Which is a shame because this whole area is new and looks to provide a great view. As it happened we got Nuneaton and Bedworth by night, which is still a sight to behold.

Snow still on the ground here and the frozen mud made access much more pleasant than it could have been. Had to broaden the search at Ground Zero before finding a brazen hide and small cache hidden in a place you wouldn't think would hold anything bigger than a micro - well done!

Thanks for the brain-ache, well worth it in the end!

TFTC TNLNSL!

]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flame away, but prepare to be burnt!